iPhone Developer Program Take 3

Author: Thomas Gonzalez

Well it looks like i have been accepted into the iPhone SDK beta developer program.. I must say that thus far the experience has been far more like a Microsoft Beta than anything else, where you are made to feel privileged to have been accepted after jumping through a corporate bureaucracy.

I am not sure how widespread the program is now, potentially they are allowing everyone in. What was odd though, is that last week I got an email requesting faxed copies of my articles of incorporation for BrightPoint Consulting (the company I registered under) which I faxed over. Just a few moments ago (a week later) I receive an email telling me that upon signing the license agreement and forking over my $99 I would be enrolled. I promptly did both, and now I am an "official" iPhone developer. I find it odd that it required such a manual process... I would assume this is pretty manually intensive if they are having humans read and correlate faxes to each developer account.

Last week I downloaded the latest bits from the second release of the iPhone SDK beta. I see that Interface Builder is now included, which is supposed to be the "magic sauce" for creating UI' s in Cocoa applications. But as I had thought, it still requires quite a bit of work to set up an application. The good news is that it appears that there is finally some documentation on the JavasScript DOM api for touch/gesture events. I planned on exploring that a bit further when I could carve out some time.

I will post again when I receive the SDK if there are additional resources provided outside of what everyone else see, and if my sharing does not violate some license EULA.

 

2 Responses to “iPhone Developer Program Take 3”

  1. Anonymous

    Hey, Does Apple ship the software for testing apps on iPhone or is it available for download? (once you are registered by paying $99)?


  2. Thomas Gonzalez

    You don't get any additional software by paying the $99. But you do get access to a developer portal that allows you to register your iPhone so you can physically load your applications directly on the phone for testing.

    The test software is the same that you get for free (Aspen Simulator) without paying a fee.

    - Tom


Leave a Reply